So everyone keeps telling you to eat well for a healthier life, right? But eat what? What’s best for your body and brain?
It seems produce is the key to a productive life.
A 25-year study at Harvard of 13,000 women showed that those who ate high amounts of veggies had less age-related decline in memory compared to those who did not. A 3-year study at Tufts University of 320 men showed that those who had high-folic-acid diets had their memories protected from homocysteine, a chemical which causes memory decline. Another study in Australia showed that after a mere 5 weeks of adding folic acid into their diets, women showed memory improvements. A 6-year study at Rush University Medical Center of 3,000 men and women showed that those who ate fish once a week had a 10% slower decline in memory. And even better, some studies have shown that anthocyanin and quercetin, phytochemicals or chemical compounds formed in plants, have even reversed some memory loss deficits in lab subjects!
Great, huh?! Now, where can we find these memory boosters in food?
- Cruciferous Vegetables – Crucifer-what?? These are your edible plants. They’re good for you and high in Vitamin C. Some of the best for you are Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower and Bok Choy.
- Leafy Green Vegetables – Low in calories, High in fiber, iron, calcium, and phytochemicals, leafy greens are great! Spinach, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Kale and Swiss chard are great greens.
- Anthocyanin – Time to add some color to your plate. Anthocyanins give color to produce and are powerful antioxidants, too! Any kind of Berry, Cherries, Black Currents, Eggplant, Red, Black, and Purple Grapes, Plums, Rhubarb, Red Onion, Red Apples, Red/Purple Cabbage, and Red Beets have color and memory boosting power thanks to anthocyanins!
- Quercetin – These little guys give flavor to your food. Onions (red, yellow, white), Kale, Leeks, Cherry Tomato, Broccoli, Blueberries, Black Currants, Elderberries, Apricots, Red Delicious Apples with Skin, and Red, Purple, and Black Grapes are filled with ‘em!
- Folic Acid – AKA Folate is great! Find it in Whole-Grain Breakfast Cereals, Lentils, Black-Eyed Peas, Soybeans, Spinach, Green Peas, Artichokes, Broccoli, Wheat Germ, Beets, and Oranges.
Make a meal with some of these fruits and veggies for a better memory.